Today marks one week from the tragic events of May 5th. Since that day, the vast majority of collectives and groups within the anarchist/anti-authoritarian movement in Greece have spoken out. We have tried a paint a picture of their various statements on the events, translating some of the most diverse. For all their diversity, a yet unspoken consensus seems to be emerging within the movement: we need to talk through this – silence is no longer an option.
… and yet at the same time, developments in Greece are even more frantic than usual. And so, we will have to pause on our reflection on May 5th, with the promise that we shall return to it soon.
For our complete coverage on the events of that day you can follow our May 5th deaths tag.
Translated statements on Occupied London:
- “Anarchy is struggle for life, freedom and dignity” (Circle of Fire anarchist collective and anarchist Bulletin Black Flag)
- “Concerning the events of May 5th“ (Terra Incognita)
- “The Morbid Explosion of Ideology” (Flesh Machine)
- “Without emergency exit” (Rioters Agency)
- “In critical and suffocating times” (TPTG)
- The “Anarchist Crouch” on Wednesday’s events
- The Anti-authoritarian Movement of Athens (AK) on Wednesday’s events
- “Anarchy is struggle for life, not death” (various radical publications)
- “The murderers “mourn” their victims” (Skaramanga squat)
- “What do we honestly have to say about Wednesday’s events?” (Occupied London)
For Greek speakers this feature on Athens IMC links to most collective statements issued so far.